CHIP (Online Remediation) Overview
Registration Date TBD
Tuition – $300 per class
CHIP classes are offered through distance learning.
1. CHIP COURSES ARE OPEN TO MIRA COSTA STUDENTS ONLY.
2. The last day to sign up for a is Tuesday, July 20 and the course must be completed by Thursday, July 29 at 3:00 pm.
3. Students can take a CHIP course and an academic summer school course concurrently.
4. Students may not take more than one CHIP course at a time. Students may enroll in another course once the first one is completed.
5. Orientation: To begin a CHIP course, students must attend a virtual orientation meeting, Monday to Thursday from June 21 to July 20 – 12–3pm. Students will meet with the CHIP teacher for instructions and access to coursework. Zoom link for virtual meeting will be provided once registration is received.
5. Course Hours: All course work is completed independently, online, with the exception of exams. Students must email the CHIP teacher to make an appointment for a proctored unit exam 12-3pm, June 28 – July 29 (Monday – Thursday). Students are required to check-in with the teacher weekly.
6. Each CHIP course is estimated to take approximately 3 weeks to complete and is dependent upon how quickly the student works. The CHIP course must be completed by 3pm on July 29.
7. Tutors: CHIP curriculum is entirely online and students are expected to work through the curriculum independently. For students who need extra help, tutors will be available for virtual meetings by appointment 12-3 pm, June 22 – July 29. The CHIP teacher will provide tutor contact information.
- Only Mira Costa students can take CHIP.
- CHIP Coordinator/Teacher: Michael McAvin, , 310-626-2839
- CHIP Dates and Hours of Operation: Monday – Thursday, June 21 – July 29 – 12:00 -3:00 pm
- Please make an appointment with the teacher for online proctored tests.
- All CHIP classes have 5 units.
- All units have a Final Exam.
- Final grades are based on the average of the 5 Final Exams.
- Students need to have an appointment with the coordinator/teacher to take a test. Please email to make an appointment.
- Final Exams can only be taken when all activities, projects, and quizzes have been completed with a minimum score of 60%.
- If a student fails two Final Exams, the class will be closed to the student and cannot be re-taken in CHIP.
- All Final Exams can be taken a second time if the student gets less than 60% the first time.
- Students who complete the Extra Credit activity offered in each unit will get a 4 percentage point boost on the unit Final Exam.
- Work can be completed on any device that has internet access.
- Students may use their own device or MBX will provide a Chromebook for the student to borrow.
Tips for Success
- Read your class’ syllabus and other informational links prior to beginning the class.
- Finish at least 25 percent of your unit each day, Monday-Thursday.
- Finish 1 unit every week.
- Communicate with Mr. McAvin about any problems.
- Don’t be tempted to cut and paste/plagiarize work or commit other similar infractions.
- When you experience technological issues, let Mr. McAvin know. They do occur and it’s in your best interest to seek out help.
Guidelines for Written Assignments
- Don’t cut and paste/plagiarize.
- Always address all aspects activity and/or prompt
- If an activity/project has more than one question or bullet, answer each separately. Don’t write one huge paragraph.
- Short answer responses: 3-5 sentences per question or bullet point
- Reading Summaries: 8-10 sentences per assigned reading sections
- Paragraphs: 8-10 sentences per paragraph
- Full Essays: Five paragraphs w/2 pieces of textual evidence per body paragraph.