The purpose of the Corporation is to provide and support academic, educational, musical, athletic and co-curricular programs established for and in support of the Manhattan Beach Unified School District in Manhattan Beach, California. The Corporation shall also solicit volunteers and raise funds to further these activities.
- Formed as an IRS 501c3 organization in May 2003; the original purpose was to provide an opportunity for individuals to make directed grants to sports, athletic and academic programs of the Manhattan Beach Unified School District;
- The Foundation changed its name in December 2012 to MBX Foundation, Inc and adopted the tagline “Beyond the Classroom” to reflect our summer school and after school programs and to recognize that our booster club partners include sports, performing arts and extra-curricular programs in the Manhattan Beach Unified School District and at Mira Costa High School;
- Our initial grant project was to install a rubberized all-weather track at Waller Stadium, using $100k in state provided grants and $500k raised by MBX;
- The Foundation has operated the WASC accredited, MBX Summer School at Mira Costa High School since 2003;
- In 2017, MBX Summer School added Flex to the summer program of academic classes. Flex provides core classes following a flexible student driven schedule;
- At the request of the Board of Trustees of the Manhattan Beach Unified School District, the Foundation has operated after-school programs at each MBUSD elementary school campus since 2008;
- In 2021, MBX launched, MBX Next, a cohort program to support students attending El Camino College.
- The Foundation operates as a “community foundation” for over fifty booster clubs at both Mira Costa and Manhattan Beach Middle School;
- The Foundation has donated $2 million to renovate and turf fields on the west edge of the Mira Costa High School. The multi-purpose, West Field project, completed in September 2017, provides additional practice and game facilities for many Mira Costa students and the community, including lacrosse, soccer, rugby, football, baseball, track and marching band;
- The Foundation and its stakeholder/partners raised and spent over $1.120 million to install synthetic turf at Waller Stadium on the Mira Costa campus and to renovate the all-weather track;
- The Foundation has donated $350,000 to the Manhattan Beach Unified School District to construct a storage building to augment the new Athletic Center constructed in 2020 on the site of Fisher Gym.
- The Foundation has donated over $750k to the Manhattan Beach Unified School District in both restricted and unrestricted grants;
- In 2009, MBX developed a weekly email blast covering athletics at Mira Costa High School. In 2012, the Foundation added a monthly email blast covering the performing arts programs at Mira costa High School; In 2016 the two newsletters were combined as a bi-weekly MBX newsletter, highlighting all MBX activities, with a total distribution of more than 5,000 parents and community members. MBX maintains a presence on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.