Back to top
- Formed as an IRS 501c3 organization in May 2003; the original purpose was to provide an opportunity for individuals to make directed grants to sports, athletic and academic programs of the Manhattan Beach Unified School District;
- Our initial project was to install a rubberized all-weather track at Waller Stadium, using $100k in state provided grants and $500k raised by MBAF;
- The Foundation has operated CAMP VIP, a summer program for elementary-age students, since 2003;
- The Foundation has operated the MBAF Summer School at Mira Costa High School since 2003;
- At the request of the Board of Trustees of the Manhattan Beach Unified School District, the Foundation has operated after-school programs at each MBUSD elementary school campus since 2008;
- The Foundation operates as a “community foundation” for over thirty-five booster clubs at both Mira Costa and Manhattan Beach Middle School;
- The Foundation has donated $2 million to renovate and turf fields on the west edge of the Mira Costa High School. The multi-purpose, West Field project, completed in September 2017, provides additional practice and game facilities for many Mira Costa students and the community, including lacrosse, soccer, rugby, football, baseball, track and marching band;
- The Foundation and its stakeholder/partners raised and spent over $1.120 million to install synthetic turf at Waller Stadium on the Mira Costa campus and to renovate the all-weather track;
- The Foundation and its stakeholder/partners raised and spent $470k to renovate the Mira Costa gym including renovation of the lobby, installation of new scoreboards, new trophy case, lighting and skylights and installation of a new gym floor;
- The Foundation has donated over $750k to the Manhattan Beach Unified School District in both restricted and unrestricted grants;
- The Foundation has operated – since inception – the drug testing program at Mira Costa High School;
- In 2009, we developed a weekly email blast covering athletics at Mira Costa High School. In 2012, the Foundation added a monthly email blast covering the performing arts programs at Mira costa High School; In 2016 the two newsletters were combined as a bi-weekly MBX newsletter, highlighting all MBX activities, with a total distribution of more than 4,000 parents and community members.
- The Foundation changed its name in December 2012 to MBX Foundation, Inc and adopted the tagline “Beyond the Classroom” to reflect our summer school and after school programs and to recognize that our booster club partners include sports, performing arts and extra-curricular programs in the Manhattan Beach Unified School District and at Mira Costa High School.